Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Motivation? What is that?

I can't believe it's been over a week since I've had my bike on the road. The last time was the First Fifty. Pretty shameful I think. I did get on it once for a 45 minute trainer session (watching Spiderman). This cold weather has really put a damper on my motivation.

That said, I have made progress in other areas of my life. I've been working on liquidating some stuff that I have not used or no longer need. Nice to see this stuff go to someone who can and will use it. Still a lot of stuff to go, but hey, gotta start somewhere.


I've also managed to get some much needed tree trimming done. My Crepe Myrtle got hacked by the power company tree trimmers a couple of years ago and it was really not looking very pretty. So, last weekend I spent a few hours with an extend-able pruning saw and gave it a good trimming. I'm hoping it will look good this summer. It's a really large and very beautiful tree.


I also trimmed up my rose bushes out back. I'm wondering if I should trim them back even more. The larger one is about 6' tall!


I've tried to get to the gym for some core workouts. I'm doing pretty well, but missed a couple days in a row. What do I have to do to kick start my motivation?


Yes, it's a trick question - I know what I have to do to kick start it - take advantage of the indoor group activities - recent trainer sessions by my friend Jeni, Yoga at Ride-on bikes, there is a lot of stuff going on, but I have a thing about indoor group training things. Not positive exactly what it is, but I do know that it reminds me of my Military days. Everyone in formation, doing the same things.


But really, it's nothing like my military days. There is no bear of a man in my face telling me how much of a dirtbag I am (well, actually the language would have been much worse). In these indoor group sessions it's all my friends that I usually ride outside with. The real point is, I need to get out with the group.


For example, last night I got out for the pub run. My P3C3 peeps have been meeting with the Fleet Feet group on monday evenings for a 3 or 5 mile run. It really shouldn't surprise me, but these groups have been a big reason I have enjoyed riding my bike so much this past year. The group runs are the same. Knowing I'll be meeting my friends really makes a difference in my motivation.


So, I guess that's it, I just need to suck it up and get past whatever it is that is keeping me from these indoor group sessions!

1 comment:

  1. LOL -- Some would say, "Suck it up Buttercup!" I would say that sometimes when mentally you aren't into it, take a couple of weeks and just crosstrain doing things you enjoy. Come back when you are ready.

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy! I'm interested to hear your comments or experiences.
NOTE: I have switched on the comment moderation because I have been getting a number of spam comments lately. Be patient, I'll post it up as soon as I can! Thx JD