Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Les Alpes!

Today was a tiring day. I travelled across the country by train, then by bus to arrive in Bourg d'Oisans in the Alps. What an incredible place this is. I'm sitting on the deck of the B&B where I'm staying and have a killer view on every side.

I arrived in BdO on the 3pm bus from Grenoble. However, the journey started at about 7am from Caen. I jumped on a very full train to Paris. This was a nice train ride and since I was in first class it was pretty comfy despite how full it was.

In Paris, I had to take a metro over to a different train station to catch the truly high speed train from Paris to Grenoble. This train was capable of 320 km per hour. That translates to just short of 200 mph! It didn't do that speed the entire way, but it definately knocked the miles out quickly.

My seat was facing backwards, so I had to turn around to see what was coming. As we got closer to Grenoble, the Alps came into view. Stunning! They were breathtaking even from miles away. Of course, it only got better.

Arrival in Grenoble just before 1pm to pick up a bus to Bourg d'Oisans. The views just got better and better. Not too many photos today although I did take a few. Perhaps the most interesting at this point is the view from the deck. Here are two.



One to my front:



and the view from behind where I am sitting.



Tomorrow I pick up my bike and the first ride will include Alpe d'Huez!

2 comments:

  1. Glad you are having a great time. I'm having fun reading and feeling like I am there too! Have a great ride tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW! So beautiful! Can't wait to see pics from your cycling adventures!

    On a side note: I went up to REI today and it made me think about your little jaunt up there a few weeks back. :)

    Very excited for you to be having such an awesome time, but please know that you are certainly missed around here, buddy! --Jess

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy! I'm interested to hear your comments or experiences.
NOTE: I have switched on the comment moderation because I have been getting a number of spam comments lately. Be patient, I'll post it up as soon as I can! Thx JD